Thursday, February 28, 2013

What I am Reading Now

Hello Bloggy!

I am going to share a quick update of what I am reading these days! Reading 'real' books is harder for me these days. Baby Girl keeps my hands full! It is much easier to download a book and easily access it with one hand on my phone or Ipad! But reading real books again is my goal!

For my 'real' book, I am reading Prayer by Richard J. Foster. I am doing it with the (in)courage book club Bloom. I, sadly, can't keep up very well. They read 2 chapters for Monday and then 2 chapters for Wednesday........I am still trying to finish the first chapter that they discussed Monday! Luckily, I can always go back and read over their notes and watch the video whenever I do finish the chapters.

picture from Amazon.

It is a book that I think I could easily recommend to anyone. The book is broken into 3 different sections: Moving Inward-Seeking the Transformation We Need, Moving Upward-Seeking the Intimacy We Need, and Moving Outward-Seeking the Ministry We Need. Each chapter is then focused on a certain type of prayer, Unceasing Prayer for example.

Foster writes very well fully explaining each prayer and using examples from his own life or from the life of saints. He also gives several applicable points in each chapter.

The only downside for me is that I can tell Foster is very likely a Catholic. He is always writing about saints and talking about books, hymns, and words like 'liturgical' like we all know what they mean. I grew up in a non-liturgical (I can use that word now that I know what it is! :D) church and find a lot of this stuff very strange. However, I think there are very few books I can say that have stuck with me and changed my way of thinking, but I think this is going to be one of those books!

On my Kindle/phone/Ipad, I am reading Hope for the Weary Mom. It was co-written by bloggers Stacey Thacker and Brooke McGlothlin. This is a much shorter book with easy to read chapters.

I am also loosely following along at hopeforthewearymom.com as they cover one chapter each week with uplifting and encouraging blog posts. Chapter topics include "When You Don't Measure Up" and "When You Come to the End of Yourself". 

I was hesitant to start this book because my baby was only 3 months at the time and I figured it was more for mom's with toddlers or older kids. But boy howdy not only has Baby Girl proven me wrong, but so has the book! The words speak to my heart and make me feel normal. It is okay to be weary and tired, even if I am just starting out on this journey and only have one kid. 

It is a quick, easy read that I would recommend to ANY mother who needs their soul warmed and comforted. 

So that is what I am currently reading! What are you reading these days??

- See more at: http://forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com/2013/02/cozy-book-hop-update-on-reading-lists.html#sthash.iL7PJaPR.dpuf

1 comment:

  1. Love your post! It's a great book so glad you enjoyed it!

    Marissa
    http://forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! Please leave your blog URL and I will be sure to visit!