Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Creamy Crock pot Macaroni and Cheese

Howdy Bloggy World!

Last night I tried one of my 'Time for Dinner' pins; the creamy crock pot macaroni and cheese! I have only ever used my crock pot once, and it resulted in an epic fail. This sounded like an easy second attempt, albeit a wee bit unhealthy. But when the end result is delicious??? GO FOR IT!!

Ingredients:

2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
4 tablespoons of butter
2 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (a lot of reviews claimed pre-shredded didn't 'stick' well, but it worked great for me!)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 (10 3/4 oz) can condensed cheddar cheese soup
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon mustard (dry or regular yellow seems to work. I used yellow)
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
pinch of nutmeg (I used 2 pinches)

*A lot of crock pot mac and cheese recipes call for the use of eggs, either 1 or 3. I omitted this step and it didn't effect the flavor. A lot of other reviewers did the same
*I honestly didn't measure my seasonings, which is shocking for me. I just added what looked good for us

Steps:
1. Cook pasta for 6 minutes. Drain
2. In a medium saucepan melt and mix butter and cheese together
3. Add cheese mixture to crock pot. Combine with all other listed ingredients. Add pasta
4. Mix/Stir well!!
5. Cook on low for 2 1/2 hours. Stir occasionally. (I was not at home and didn't get to stir. The result was the sides of the crock pot got slightly crusty and may now be harder to clean)

Sorry I did not think to take any pictures!! But it was quite good, tasting almost exactly like my husband's more elaborate baked mac and cheese without the nice crunchy bread crumb topping or bigger onion pieces! I had all the ingredients in my cupboards already except the condensed cheddar soup, which I honestly didn't even know was a thing.

This recipe has bolstered my confidence in the crock pot so I am thinking of adding another crock pot recipe to the the menu next week! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! Please leave your blog URL and I will be sure to visit!