Saturday, August 25, 2012

A Tidbit from the Message

Hello Bloggy,

Today I wanted to share a passage from the Message with you, from Luke chapter 12

"Don't fuss about what's on the table at mealtimes or if the clothes in your closet are in fashion. There is far more to your inner life than the food you put in your stomach, more to your outer appearance than the clothes you hang on your body. ...Has anyone ever by fussing before the mirror ever gotten taller by so much as an inch? If fussing can't even do that, why fuss at all?...What I am trying to do here is get you to relax, not be so preoccupied with getting so you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you  know both God and how he works. Steep yourself in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met. Don't be afraid of missing out. You're my dearest friends! The Father wants to give you the very kingdom itself."


Doesn't that make you feel foolish about trying to fit into the the latest fad?? I know I usually don't like the latest trends but that doesn't mean that I don't fuss over my clothes, or more likely just my general outer appearance. But only people who don't know God should fuss over these things!! Yikes!

Understand however, I believe there is a difference between fussing over your appearance and looking like a slob. Especially as a wife I understand the importance of dressing up and looking good for the Hubby. But clothes shouldn't be a giant focus in our lives! They should be a background noise.

"Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." (1 Peter 3:4 NIV)

Can you see the difference? When we place our focus on our clothing, hair, makeup, and trying to keep up with Hollywood fashions, we act as if we don't know God!! But by allowing our inner selves shine through, we find great worth in God's sight! He is pleased with us!! How amazing!! And how simple!!

That's what I want, to please God. I want to go forward from this day and not fuss over my clothing. Let it be simple background noise. I want to have an unfading beauty! I want people to wonder where it comes from so that I may point to God and not Hollywood, or myself.

Try it with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! Please leave your blog URL and I will be sure to visit!