Monday, May 6, 2013

Family Conversation Jar

Hey there Amigos!

Today I want to share a resource that has been sitting around my house for some time. Let's face it, the art of conversation is slowly disappearing from family dinner tables. Hubby and I often kick back and relax watching Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives on YouTube during most of our lunches. So I myself am totally to blame for this.

We are losing ourselves in a world of speaking hashtags instead of using 'real words'. Ex: "OMG, did you see that hamburger? #needtopin, jic!!" ....not that I would ever say that...out loud...ever.

As a result, I created our Family conversation jar as a way to help facilitate good discussions around the dinner table. This is also a fantastic resource for when we have company over.


The idea is simple: make up a bunch of questions (What is your favorite color?), write them on slips of paper, and put them in a jar or bowl. Easy Peasey! Then when you are sitting down to dinner, or entertaining, take out the jar and have each guest grab a question or two. 


I started by making up my own questions and printable for my jar. Which you can find just below here:

Made by Me! I printed under option size "wallet size" to fit my mason jar best. Just right click and "save as"
You can access my 30 Husband Approved Questions over here!

Later after some Pinterest research, I found some great resources for family conversation jars! Go ahead and check those out here:

How Does She blog: you will be asked to sign up for their email before receiving this printable.

Beauty and Bedlam blog:  free on their website!!

The Dating Divas website: This is a review of the Private Affair 'game'. A family conversation starter game that will need purchasing.

I encourage you to make a conversation jar for your family. I think the questions will help facilitate some great, and humorous, discussions at your dinner table!

Q: Do you have a convo jar for your family? What kind of questions would you put in the jar??


TheBetterMom.com http://christianmommyblogger.com

8 comments:

  1. I like this idea! Maybe I'll try it with my son. I ask him many questions and usually get a "yes" or "no" but if he sees it as a game, with questions that he actually has to answer, it would be fun!

    We have a game that is a deck of cards called "would you rather" and he finds that completely hilarious since most of the things are gross! Boys!

    Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works! The trick is thinking up open ended questions, even if it is a one word answer, hopefully it is more creative than 'yes' or 'no'.

      I didn't know there was an actual game for "would you rather..."! I will have to check it out!

      Delete
  2. We have the opposite problem: our children love to talk to so much at the dinner table that we have to work on taking turns and not interrupting! However, I think they would still enjoy the conversation jar - great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is fantastic! I love hearing families who SIT DOWN for dinner! Love it :)

      Delete
  3. I love this idea! Thanks for sharing.

    Visiting from Fellowship on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! FF is one of my fave linkups

      Delete
  4. Clearly, wealth dynamics successful entrepreneurs truly believe that it's taken to the
    world wake up, cheer for them. If this is why making your own specific job
    duties and responsibilities of an idea of, here is that youĂ­re doing.


    my website Entrepreneur Personality Test

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superb, what a web site it is! This blog presents helpful
    facts to us, keep it up.

    Also visit my web page long island home inspector ()

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! Please leave your blog URL and I will be sure to visit!