Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Christian Mama's Guide

Hello Bloggy Bloggers,

Oops! I am a day late! It is always harder for me to get stuff done on the computer when Hubby is on his days off. I am sad I couldn't post yesterday because I just canNOT wait to share with you about this wonderful book! 

The Christian Mama's Guide series by Erin MacPherson (check the blog here!!) is a set of four books covering everything a parent needs to know from pregnancy to first year of school. Can I please just pause to note how ADORABLE the cover art is for each book??? 

amazon.com

I received The Christian Mama's Guide to Baby's First Year: Everything You Need to Know to Survive (and Love) Your First Year as a Mom I got it in the mail on a Friday and had devoured it by Sunday. Which for me (even though I ADORE reading)and Baby Girl, is a big feat these days. I choose the baby book over the toddler book (TOUGH decision!!) because I wanted to be able to compare her tips to what I have already experienced. I felt relieved about a lot of things and still picked up some new tricks.

The book starts with the predictable baby chapters covering items such as postpartum healing, breastfeeding, and sleeping tips. Having a five month old, I was tempted to skip some of these chapters but MacPherson drew me easily with her quick humor. I can't count how many times I laughed out loud and even wrote 'LOL' in the margins. 

Here is an example for the chapter two "The Christian Mama's Lying-In Period":

"Now, your husband will probably offer to come along to this appointment (six-week postpartum check) with you, feigning an interest in how your body is healing after childbirth. But the truth is that he's going along for one reason and one reason alone: he wants to find out when the doctor will give you the go-ahead to have sex again" (pg. 30) (italics mine).

My favorite chapters really started towards the second half of the book. Chapter 10 "It's Playtime" was perfect for me. MacPherson's confession were words straight from my mouth:

"...sometimes being a mom is boring. There. I said it." (pg 132)

Yes and Amen! Why don't people ever tell you that before you have baby??
I highlighted sentence after sentence, list after list. Another particular favorite of mine were her ideas about how to introduce babies to Jesus. This is what really sets this baby guide apart from others. Peppered throughout the book are "Time-Out for Mom" sections that include a verse and a prayer. This was a fantastic reminder for me; I don't just want to be a mom, I want to be a Christian mom!! 

Overall, this book is a fantastic read, and a quick read which is perfect for new moms. MacPherson provides a ton of info that I will be constantly referring too, wrapped up in layers of fluffy humor. All her lists are practical; several of them are being coped to hang on my fridge as I write this! 

I don't think I could recommend this book any stronger. Beware all my future pregnant friends! You will be receiving copies of CMG series in your gift bags!! I totally lamenting that I don't have the toddler book as well. Yet. 

Check it out at Amazon and her Facebook page here. Erin is hosting a launch party for the series Saturday April 6th on her Facebook page with giveaways, games, and more. CHECK IT OUT!





TheBetterMom.com

2 comments:

  1. I've heard great things about these books, so glad you reviewed! I'll have to keep these in mind if I decide to have more kids... Thanks for linking up again!

    Marissa
    http://forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! I love reading the Cozy Book Hop! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! Please leave your blog URL and I will be sure to visit!