Thursday, March 14, 2013

I am a Nerd (And You Should Be Too!)

Hello Bloggy!

I confess loudly and proudly that I am a NERD. And I don't just mean 'book nerd', though I am surely that as well. I mean SCI-FI nerd!

It probably started when I was a wee young lass watching Disney movies. Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White...you bet they are fantasy movies!!

Soon, I graduated into Star Trek watching Voyager episodes with my dad. Then it migrated into my reading--The Animorphs Series, then Terry Brooks' epic fantasy series Shannara. The true goldmine came in 6th grade when Harry Potter was first published. I devoured them, and the movies.

As you can probably guess, it escalated from there. I can't continue being a closet nerd any longer! So feel compelled to share my Top Five Fave Sci-Fi shows with you so that you may love them too!!


5. What Sci-fi list would be complete with out the Twilight Zone?? Created and narrated by Rod Sterling, its five seasons feature everything from the scary exotic to the just plain weird. Check it out, if you haven't already, on Netflix. Also, every year for New Year's Even and New Year's Day they show a marathon of all the episodes on the Syfy Channel! Check out "Living Doll", "Eye of the Beholder", and "Time Enough at Last" for a good taste. 

4. Firefly. This show was cut short after only ONE season, upsetting viewers and creating a cult following. The story follows Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds and his motley crew as they frequently run from the law in their ship the Serenity. It is a dystopian future that features a blend of Old West and Chinese cultures. It is totally unlike other 'space' shows out there. Because it is so short, there is little reason for you NOT to watch it!! Check it out on Netflix today. 

3. Star Trek. For me this encompasses the original series, Next Generation, and Voyager. A fantastic creation! In the words of Captain Kirk: "Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before." Exploring new worlds, new stars, new races, what more could you want?? Although no longer televised on TV, you can catch up on the awesome world of Star Trek on Netflix OR go back to the original series with the new Star Trek movies. 

2. Stargate SG-1. Similar to Star Trek, but set in the current day and instead of travelling by ship the crew travels by Stargate. Birthed from a less than par movie, SG-1 quickly became a fantastic show with 10 season and at least 2 spin-off shows. It feels a bit more 'realistic' compared to Star Trek since it is set in modern day and they use 'regular' human technology and weapons. The character development is spectacular and gets better as the seasons progress. C'mon, Richard Dean Anderson?? You know it will be good!

1. Doctor Who. I would say don't get me started, but you already did! Doctor Who is BBC and first aired in 1963. The basic story line follows a Time Lord, known only as the Doctor, who travels through time and space in his ship the T.A.R.D.I.S. with his various companions. To keep the show running for so long, the Doctor has the ability to regenerate. Regeneration allows the current Doctor to transform into a new physical body and somewhat different personality whenever wounded or dying. Crazy sounding, I know.
The original idea behind Doctor Who was a show to teach kids about history, but quickly developed more sci-fi overtones and never looked back. Don't feel like watching 33 seasons of a TV show that started in the '60s?? The show actually went on an extended hiatus in 1989 and was revised with a new Doctor in 2005 to the present. The 'new' seasons (Doctors 9,10, and 11) are all you really need to watch. New season episodes are streaming on Netflix with the most current season airing on BBC starting the end of the month. 
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS SHOW! And tell everyone I come into contact with, including you now :))

I hope you decide to check out at least one of these awesome sci-fi shows and start exploring new worlds!
Also, check out The Sci Fi Christian for all things sci-fi, fantasy, and beyond!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! Please leave your blog URL and I will be sure to visit!