Monday, March 11, 2013

PB Graham Cracker Balls

Howdy Howdy Bloggy!

As part of a new deal with myself, I have decided to commit and actually make some of the recipes and DIYs I find on Pinterest. You can find my Pinterest home here.

For my first "Accomplished" challenge, I decided to pick an easy, quick recipe. One where I actually had all the ingredients on hand. Often times I find recipes that say "with ingredients from your cupboard", but then lists coconut oil. I didn't even know coconut oil was a thing, much less where to find it! Or even just the simple mint chocolate chips. Delicious yes, but not always something I keep on hand. For me, chocolate chips, peanut butter, and graham crackers ARE something I actually keep stocked in my cupboard!

So get ready for a MESSY recipe! This would be a fun one to make with older kids who enjoy fun textures and getting their hands sticky. I like to provide the original recipe, but make notes in red about my recommended changes.

I am going to include a picture from the website where I found the recipe, because *spoiler alert* mine turned out looking nothing like these :)

Peanut Butter Balls
http://blog.babygizmo.com/2012/06/peanut-butter-graham-cracker-balls/


Peanut Butter Graham Cracker Balls

1 cup peanut butter
1 1/2 graham cracker crumbs (I used just about one whole package)
1-1 1/4 cup chocolate (I used semi-sweet, but would definitely try dark next time!)

1. Smash up your graham crackers to make 1 1/2 cup of crumbs (I just whacked them on the counter a bunch of times!). Add crumbs to 1 cup peanut butter. Mix it up really good. (I discovered using my hand worked better than any spoon). The mixture needs to be dry/wet enough to form balls. Add more crumbs or pb until you are able to do so efficiently (I needed to add more peanut butter than called for).

2. Form even sized balls with your hands and place on a wax covered plate/cookie sheet. Freeze for 30-60 minutes.

3. Melt the chocolate in the microwave, stopping every 20 seconds to stir until completely melted. 

4. Using a toothpick or fork (fork works best. Toothpick just slides off or breaks the ball), dip the balls into the chocolate, one at a time. Refrigerate or freeze until firm. 

**The original recipe calls for mini chips or heath bits to roll the chocolate coated balls in, I completely bypassed this step because I knew it would make a mess. Taking a chocolate covered ball and dropping it into a bowl of candies is just asking for a giant clump! You could drop some mini chips on top of the balls, or for a contrasting effect, sprinkle with powdered sugar.

REVIEW:
For me, the balls were completely difficult to form. Even adding extra pb, the balls were just to dry and wouldn't stick. I made about 16 or so before giving up when the recipe says it will make 24. Perhaps chunky peanut butter works better than smooth. 

I also had to use more chocolate to melt than called for. I tried to use a smaller bowl so that it would be deep enough to dip one of the balls in and completely cover it, but that didn't work out for me, so I had to use more. Even still, I had a difficult time completely covering the balls...which is why I don't have my own pictures :)) I am sure someone with more skill and better patience will do just fine. 

I wasn't sure what my husband would think, but he really does like them! And doesn't even care what they look like. Still, I think I would only make this recipe again if he asks for it specifically. And try it with oats. Mmmmm, oats.....

If you decide to give these ago, let me know what you think!!

TheBetterMom.com

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the inspiration! Gonna try these - but let my 3 boys get their hands dirty :-)
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! Please leave your blog URL and I will be sure to visit!